posted by:
Afghan
Poland
Advertisement
  • Re: the meaning of om namo bhagavate vasudevaya

Fri, August 3, 2007 - 8:15 AM
    OM NAMO BHAGAVATEH

The first word, OM , represents
    the supreme invocation, the invocation to the Supreme.

The second word, NAMO, represents
    total self-giving, perfect surrender.

The third word, BHAGAVATEH, represents
    the aspiration,
    what the manifestation must become — Divine.

"The Mother"

Fri, August 3, 2007 - 12:57 PM
      umm sorry to cerrect here, ima real stickler for details,as sanskrit is very precise, but it literally means:

om--O my Lord; namah--my respectful obeisances unto You; bhagavate--unto the Personality of Godhead; vasudevaya--unto Lord Krsna, the son of Vasudeva.

TRANSLATION

O my Lord, the all-pervading Personality of Godhead, I offer my respectful obeisances unto You.

hope that helps.

Fri, August 3, 2007 - 7:40 PM
        with the sticklering.... would you really translate the pranava 'Om' as "O my Lord"? i tend to relate to it as something much larger than that.

Fri, August 3, 2007 - 7:57 PM
          well i guess u could translate om / pranav as the primal sound of the universe, of all that is, if u like, but as personalists we take when krsna says i am the vedic syllable om seriously ;) so we usually refer to it in regards to his person, i.e. oh my lord.

depends on a persons affiliation / tradition....

:)

Fri, August 3, 2007 - 7:57 PM
          The short Atmarama verse of the Srimad Bhagavatam was translated correctly in 64 different ways by Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu. So yes certainly one could write a book about the word OM. As Krishna states in the Gita, girām asmy ekam akṣaram BG 10.25 "of vibrations I am the transcendental OM". But to be simple and concise Manu Prabhu has provided a direct translation while preserving a summary of it essences. That verse OM NAMO BHAGAVATE VASUDEVA was the verse that Srila KrishnaDvaipaya Vyasadeva composed as his invocation to the Srimad Bhagavatam. www.srimadbhagavatam.com so it understood that the verse is purported by that work of 18,000 verses.

Thu, September 3, 2009 - 1:21 AM
    I always understood this to mean 'Homage to the enlightened One that dwells within' ~ Not sure where that came from.

Fri, September 4, 2009 - 9:07 AM
      For an elaboration of the verse please see Srila Vyasadeva's, KrishnaDvaipanaya Vyasa's great ancient work the Bhagavata Purana, Srimad Bhagavatam.

It is invocated and elaborated nicely in the first verse.

srimadbhagavatam.com/1/1/1/en
      Śrīmad Bhāgavatam 1.1.1

oḿ namo bhagavate vāsudevāya

janmādy asya yato 'nvayād itarataś cārtheṣv abhijñaḥ svarāṭ

tene brahma hṛdā ya ādi-kavaye muhyanti yat sūrayaḥ

tejo-vāri-mṛdāḿ yathā vinimayo yatra tri-sargo 'mṛṣā

dhāmnā svena sadā nirasta-kuhakaḿ satyaḿ paraḿ dhīmahi

SYNONYMS

om — O my Lord; namaḥ — offering my obeisances; bhagavate — unto the Personality of Godhead; vāsudevāya — unto Vāsudeva (the son of Vasudeva), or Lord Śrī Kṛṣṇa, the primeval Lord; janma-ādi — creation, sustenance and destruction; asya — of the manifested universes; yataḥ — from whom; anvayāt — directly; itarataḥ — indirectly; ca — and; artheṣu — purposes; abhijñaḥ — fully cognizant; sva-rāṭ — fully independent; tene — imparted; brahma — the Vedic knowledge; hṛdā — consciousness of the heart; yaḥ — one who; ādi-kavaye — unto the original created being; muhyanti — are illusioned; yat — about whom; sūrayaḥ — great sages and demigods; tejaḥ — fire; vāri — water; mṛdām — earth; yathā — as much as; vinimayaḥ — action and reaction; yatra — whereupon; tri-sargaḥ — three modes of creation, creative faculties; amṛṣā — almost factual; dhāmnā — along with all transcendental paraphernalia; svena — self-sufficiently; sadā — always; nirasta — negation by absence; kuhakam — illusion; satyam — truth; param — absolute; dhīmahi — I do meditate upon.

TRANSLATION

O my Lord, Śrī Kṛṣṇa, son of Vasudeva, O all-pervading Personality of Godhead, I offer my respectful obeisances unto You. I meditate upon Lord Śrī Kṛṣṇa because He is the Absolute Truth and the primeval cause of all causes of the creation, sustenance and destruction of the manifested universes. He is directly and indirectly conscious of all manifestations, and He is independent because there is no other cause beyond Him. It is He only who first imparted the Vedic knowledge unto the heart of Brahmājī, the original living being. By Him even the great sages and demigods are placed into illusion, as one is bewildered by the illusory representations of water seen in fire, or land seen on water. Only because of Him do the material universes, temporarily manifested by the reactions of the three modes of nature, appear factual, although they are unreal. I therefore meditate upon Him, Lord Śrī Kṛṣṇa, who is eternally existent in the transcendental abode, which is forever free from the illusory representations of the material world. I meditate upon Him, for He is the Absolute Truth.

In the link there is an elaborate purport.

Wed, February 23, 2011 - 4:10 PM
    Namaste
    "Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya" if "to use" Lithuanian language
    Namo (namah) - namai (a house. Maybe means like "into Your sellf" (?) )
    Bhagavate (Bha+Gavate)
    Gavate - gava, gavimas (a receiving), gauti (to get), gyvata (a life, a snake), gyvatė (a snake [associates (?) with "Kundalini"]), gyvybė (a life)
    Gavyna - old goddess of Areju (fake word aryan) religion (pagan)
    Vasudevaya (Vasu+Deva+ya, or Vasu+De+Vaya, or Vasu+Deva+Vaya)
    Vasu - visų (common, of all), visur (throughout, all around, about), visa (all, a whole)
    Deva (Devas) - Dievas (God)
    Vaya (Vaju) - vėjas (a wind. Maybe means like "piercing all around")
    ...and complicated (not so much) "Bha"
    "b" interchange with "v" in linguistics. Intermediate words = Bhaga, Bagas, Bog (God in russian l.). In Lithuanian l. "vaga" - watercourse, channel, main course
    OM NAMO BHAGAVATE VASUDEVAJA
    Namaste
    • Aby
      Aby
      offline 0

Re: the meaning of om namo bhagavate vasudevaya

Mon, April 21, 2014 - 1:20 PM
      Very very interesting! especially since i heard something similar to this the other day from an indian scholar! I've written about it below too. Amazed to see this meaning in lithuanian too from you...especially the vayu..air and varuna..water part!

Sun, September 18, 2011 - 2:40 PM
    Om is the esence of everything. It´s both atma and brahman. It´s god within, it´s I, the self who is not the ego.

Om namo bhagavate:OM: I, the esence of god, NAMO: give my entire self, BHAGAVATE VASUDEVAYA: to god.
    It´s the union of the yug of yoga. the HA and the THA, the reunion of god within with god around. It´s the step of making dualism into unity. It´s reuniting the esence with the esence, the ilusion of separability between the universal god and the individual self. There is only one self within everyone and that one self appears to be separate from God, but God is the self. Om namo bhagavate vasudevaya means practically YOGA.

Fri, October 14, 2011 - 11:20 AM
    I would say the discussion here is only meant for arriving at the truth, not even a 'debate.' Such discussions, especially about spiritual subject matters, are in the mode of goodness.

Having read all the posts, I would side with those quoting from the author of the all the vedas, Dvaipanaya VedaVyas.

Vedavyas would be the final authority of the meaning of this vedic mantra which indeed appears as the invocation of the Bhagawat Purana, which he wrote at the end of his compilations of vedic knowledge as the natural commentary on all the vedas.

Also, Vedavyas has translated 'Vasudevaya' to mean the 'son of Vasudev.' The vaisnavas, or worshipers of Vishnu/Krishna understand the non-dual substance of Brahman, Paramatma (Supersoul), and Bhagavan. Those that only attribute impersonal qualities to 'God' are only partially understanding the Absolute Truth, i.e. recognizing 'Brahman' only.

The idea that 'Om' is 'larger' than the Krishna/Vishnu/Bhagavan conception of Godhead, means one has not been introduced to the infinite character and inconceivable nature and potencies of the Bhagavan conception of Godhead which includes everything, including Brahman and 'Om.' As Krishna says to Arjuna in the Bhagavad-gita (also composed by Vedavyas), "O son of Kunti [Arjuna], I am the taste of water, the light of the sun and the moon, the syllable om in the Vedic mantras; I am the sound in ether and ability in man." Bg.7.8
  • Aby
    Aby
    offline 0
    In addition to the meanings given below, the other day i heard this sermon from somebody. Im embarassed to say that I didnt...rather couldnt concentrate much due to some reasons. But i was surprised to hear him talk about 'Vasudevaya' and its meaning in a truly unique manner unlike the common meanings which i had already heard. In addition to the other meanings including son of vasudeva and krishna...he said vasudevaya also means (I say also, cos the other meanings are also important and true!)...so he says and hints at our indirect/direct connection to the paramatma. Clearly dont remember but something like we came from our mothers womb, which came from mother's and fathers body, which came from the food they ate, which indirectly came from earth, which came from water, which came from fire, which came from air/space,which came from the eternal soul/paramatma. Thus showing us our secret or tracing our root or who we actually are! Something to do with Va Su De Va ya yam. ....implying varuna (water), vayu (air)...like someone here said this word also means air and water etc in another language ...and finally ends in paramatma. I mean this word has to be broken up and then read/learnt to get these elements hidden in it and finally the paramatma (eternal soul/god) part in it. Wish i heard it clearly. It seems he had also spoken earlier about aum and namo and bhagavathe too which i missed! So there are a lot of meanings to this wonderful manthra (manthra = that which leads us to him)...through sound/thought/action or something like that. He also said that when we truly realise the meaning/meanings of this manthra, it would amaze us and truly surprise us with its secret essence (in addition to the outer/simple meanings). Meanwhile as usual , as is the case with many humans, very disappointed at some of the ignorant rude remarks related to race and superiority here. There is no manthra to cleanse such people with all their knowledge put together if their mind is corrupted with such dirt. Sorry to all the others if they find any indian/indians' comments offensive....accept my apologies on their behalf. But im also delighted with most other people (from all countries including mine) for their wonderful comments. Thank you. This is a brilliant mantra,..something which can go a long way from truly realising what we are, where we came from, and where we should go from here!. Aum Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya...

Recent topics in "All Yoga"